A glowing complexion is something we all strive for, and we are often willing to try anything to get it. But with so many products on the market, it can be hard to know what ingredients will work best for your skin. Enter salicylic acid and witch hazel - two powerhouse ingredients that can provide you with the clear and bright skin you’ve always wanted. Together, these two active ingredients target a variety of skin issues, such as acne, inflammation, and excess oil production. This power duo is incredibly effective, and in this article, we’ll unpack the benefits they offer and how to incorporate them into your skincare routine.
Benefits of incorporating salicylic acid and witch hazel into your skincare routine
As we have seen, salicylic acid and witch hazel are two very effective ingredients that can be used to address a variety of skin issues. Here are some of the benefits you can reap from incorporating them into your skincare routine:
- Effective acne treatment - Salicylic acid is one of the most effective acne treatments for all skin types, and as research shows, it also prevents acne from forming. Due to its anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, salicylic acid penetrates deeply into the pores, removing excess oil and impurities that can cause breakouts. It also has exfoliant properties, so it can help remove dead skin cells, which can clog pores and lead to acne.
- Gentle exfoliation - Exfoliating your skin regularly is one of the best ways to achieve a bright and clear complexion. But not all skin types are the same, and not all exfoliators are created equal. Witch hazel is an incredibly gentle yet effective exfoliant that can be used on all skin types. It can help clear pores, remove dead cells on the skin’s surface, and leave your complexion looking clearer and smoother.
- Evens out skin tone - Salicylic acid is also known to have anti-aging properties and can help improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. As the collagen in our skin naturally breaks down as we age, our bodies produce less hyaluronic acid, which leads to the formation of wrinkles. Salicylic acid can actually boost the production of hyaluronic acid, which can help plump the skin and minimize fine lines and wrinkles.
How to use salicylic acid and witch hazel
Salicylic acid - Salicylic acid is often found in acne treatments, but it can also be used as a skincare exfoliant. The best way to use salicylic acid is to apply it at night and leave it on your skin for about 15 minutes before washing it off. You can also apply a layer of salicylic acid to the entire face in the morning if you want a more targeted approach. Salicylic acid is known to cause dryness and irritation, so it is important to pair it with a moisturizer to avoid dry patches.
Witch hazel - Witch hazel is a great exfoliant that is suitable for all skin types. Like salicylic acid, witch hazel also has anti-inflammatory properties, which can help calm the skin and reduce redness and inflammation. While salicylic acid is best applied at night, witch hazel can be used in the morning and evening alike.
Skin conditions that can benefit from salicylic acid and witch hazel
As we have seen, salicylic acid and witch hazel are incredibly effective ingredients that can be used to treat a variety of skin issues. Here are some of the conditions that can benefit from the use of these two ingredients:
- Acne - As we have seen, salicylic acid is one of the best ingredients for treating acne. It is gentle enough for all skin types and can be used as a spot treatment or as part of an acne cleanser.
- Oil production - Both can help control oil production by clearing pores and reducing inflammation. If you have an oily complexion and are looking for a way to control excess oil production, salicylic acid may be the best option for you.
- Blackheads and whiteheads - Not only can salicylic acid and witch hazel treat existing blackheads and whiteheads, but it can also prevent them from forming in the future.
- Pores - Salicylic acid and witch hazel can help unclog pores, reduce blackheads and whiteheads, and prevent acne breakouts.
Side effects of salicylic acid and witch hazel
Like with any other skincare ingredients, there are also some side effects that can occur while using salicylic acid and witch hazel. Here are some of the common side effects of salicylic acid and witch hazel:
- Dryness - As we mentioned, salicylic acid can cause dryness and irritation, so it is important to use a moisturizer while using it.
- Redness and stinging - Similar to dryness, salicylic acid can cause redness and stinging, especially if you have sensitive skin. If you experience any of these side effects, reduce the amount of salicylic acid you are using or stop using it altogether.
- Allergic reaction - An allergic reaction is the worst possible side effect of using salicylic acid or witch hazel. If you experience any severe reactions, such as swelling or hives, stop using both ingredients and consult your dermatologist as soon as possible.
Tips for incorporating salicylic acid and witch hazel into your skincare routine
- If you have sensitive skin, start off with a lower percentage of salicylic acid and slowly work your way up.
- Like with any other product that can cause dryness and irritation, it is important to use a moisturizer
- Experiment with different products until you find the one that works best for you.